10 Preposterous Reasons for Calling in Sick to Work
At some point in your life you have probably phoned in sick, but your reason for not showing up probably didn’t involve a ghost keeping you up all night – or a claim that you couldn’t leave your house because your windows and doors had been glued shut.
Pretending to have a bad head cold sounds so mundane compared to these sick day excuses rounded-up by CareerBuilder for their 2014 list of “The Most Unbelievable Excuses for Calling in Sick.”
Here are some of the more memorable excuses for calling in sick heard by hiring managers and human resource professionals this year:
1. Employee accidentally got on a plane.
2. Employee was sitting in the bathroom and her feet and legs fell asleep. When she stood, up she fell and broke her ankle.
3. Employee’s plastic surgery for enhancement purposes needed some “tweaking” to get it just right.
4. Employee woke up in a good mood and didn’t want to ruin it.
5. Employee had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning.
6. Employee got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn’t get out.
7. Employee had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
8. Employee had a gallstone they wanted to heal holistically.
9. Employee caught their uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
10. Employee just put a casserole in the oven.
Before you start dreaming up an elaborate way to get out of going to work, note that nearly 1 in 5 employers have reported firing an employee for calling in with a fake excuse. A lot of these employees – nearly 25% – get caught in their lies because they posted about their activities on social media sites.
However, if you really are sick, you should definitely stay home and not share germs with your co-workers. But if you call in sick, a safer bet might be to level with your boss, rather than coming up with some far-fetched excuse. Once you’ve done that, feel free to stay in bed all day – you can binge watch Netflix and even see a doctor from the comfort of your comforter with MeMD!