Plane, Train or Automobile – no matter how you are traveling this summer, with a little creativity you can eat well (and healthily!) while on the road
Anyone who has ever had a long layover is familiar with the limited meal options when traveling – either you settle for greasy fast food, or spend a fortune trying to get something slightly healthier. Luckily, with a little planning ahead you can opt for the alternative! Pack one of these easy-to-make and easy-to-take meals that you can stick in your carry-on to enjoy as you get from point A to B.
Ants on a Log
Your mom used to pack these in your lunch box for a reason! Not only is it delicious, this snack doesn’t get soggy and is only 160 calories.
- 2 stalk(s) celery, medium length
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon raisins, natural, seedless
- Wash celery, then fill the center of the celery sticks with peanut butter.
- Place raisins over peanut butter. Enjoy.
Southwest Orzo Salad
Pasta salad is a perfect dish for versatility; it’s easily portable and can be served cold. (This recipe yields 4 servings)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- sea or Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Chile or Chipotle (for an extra kick) powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne/red pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse; then drain well again.
- While the pasta is cooking make the dressing: whisk oil, lime juice, honey, chile powder, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, salt and pepper together. (To leave out the heat omit the cayenne.) Taste and tweak if needed.
- Combine orzo, corn, tomatoes, green onions and black beans in a large bowl and then toss with dressing.
Prepare the granola up to two days ahead, and store in an airtight container for a yummy breakfast or afternoon snack.
Ingredients: yields 5 servings
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/8 cup chopped almonds
- 1/8 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tbl. + 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/8 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Cooking spray
- 2 Tbl. dried cranberries
- 2 Tbl. chopped dried apricots
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Combine oats, almonds, pecans, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add maple syrup, honey, juice, and almond extract; toss well.
- Spread mixture evenly onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 300° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Stir in cranberries and apricots. Cool completely. Store in a zip-top plastic bag.