Cooking up heart-healthy meals for you and your family doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice flavor. Increasing your heart health requires no secret ingredients. It simply means making dishes that are lower in cholesterol, saturated fat, total fat and sodium. One simple way to start cooking healthier is to swap your standard hamburgers for turkey burgers. The turkey burger has fewer calories, less fat and a bit more protein. So get grilling with this month’s heart-healthy Turkey Burger recipe – it’s “flippin” good!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Ready in: 45 minutes | Servings: 4
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 14 ounces lean 93% ground turkey meat
- 6 ounces lean ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 whole-wheat buns or pita bread, toasted
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with some salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Whisk the garlic with the balsamic, Worcestershire and hot sauce in a small bowl.
3. Crumble the turkey and beef into a large mixing bowl. Pour the garlic mixture over the meat and form into 4 (5-ounce) burgers. Cover and set aside while you cook the onions.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Season the onions with the remaining teaspoon of balsamic and salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for a minute. Brush 1 side of the burgers with the oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook seasoned side down until browned, about 2 minutes. Brush and season the top of the burgers, flip and cook until other side is brown, about 2 minutes more.
6. Transfer burgers to a baking dish and bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted side ways into the burgers registers 160 degrees F, about 5 minutes. Place the burgers on the buns or in a pita and let rest for a few minutes.
Serve this dish with the caramelized onions and garnishes of your choice. And if you ‘want fries with that’ – we recommend pairing these burgers with a side of sweet potato fries.