On average a person only takes around 3,000 steps per day. People are not getting the adequate exercise they need to stay healthy and be active. They tend to avoid walking because it is easier to drive, it is too hot or cold outside, they are too tired; the list goes on, but to put it simply, they don’t have the motivation. Staying conscious of your health and physical activity on a day-to-day basis will help long term. It is easy and free. Don’t look at walking as a daunting task, but as a relaxing and fun activity.
Remove the boundaries that make you drive instead of stepping out your front door. Embrace the outdoors and lace up your walking shoes.
Benefits of Walking
- Reduces the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, osteoporosis and depression
- Improves your mood and energy
- Strengthens your muscles
- Reduces stress
- Helps you sleep better
- Burns calories, which will help you maintain a healthy weight
- Wear a pedometer and make sure you are getting those 10,000 steps!
- Walk your dog
- Keep a walking journal
- Start a walking group
- Walk to the store, to work, to school
- Take a short walk before breakfast, during your lunch break and after dinner
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Explore: your neighborhood, your city or town
- Set a walking goal
- Walk for 10 minutes, 3 times a day
Walking = A healthy lifestyle, more energy, and a happier you