Weekend Workout: Mind and Body Moves
As we get older, our bodies AND our minds need more exercise to stay sharp. Learn these moves that combine motor skills and balance to start putting your body and your brain to the test. Just dedicating 30 minutes a day to this routine will help sharpen your mind and tone your body. You’re average crossword can’t do that!
What you’ll need: A pair of 2 to 5 pound dumbbells
What you’ll do: Complete the indicated reps; try not to rest between moves. Repeat the circuit.
Side Leg with Shoulder Press Lift
- Stand holding a dumbbell in each hand, with your elbows bent and palms facing in – shift your weight so it rests all into your right leg.
- Take a breath in and as you exhale, simultaneously lift your arms up toward the ceiling until they’re straight, and raise your left leg out to the side. Envision that your shoulders and pelvis are forming one straight line, and be sure to not arch your spine or lift your hip.
- While inhaling, slowly lower your hands and your left leg back to the starting position.
- Complete 12 reps on each side.
Arm & Leg Raise
- With a weight in each hand, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Rest the right weight on butt to add resistance; lift your left arm in front of you until level with your shoulder. At the same time extend your right leg out behind you. Be sure to keep your spine straight.
- Return to start and repeat on the opposite side. Complete 12 reps.
- To start, lie down face-up with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. With a dumbbell in each hand extend arms above your head with palms facing each other
- Lift arms up over your head; then crunch while simultaneously twisting and reaching arms across your torso to the left side as you straighten and lift the left leg.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side. Do 12 reps.
- Standing with a dumbbell in each hand inhale as you bring your right leg behind you, keeping your left knee slightly bent.
- Exhale and pull your abs in toward your spine as you tip your torso forward. As your torso lowers your right leg should continue to lift. Envision your body as one long line from the top of your head to the tip of your right toe.
- Bend your elbows out to the sides squeezing your shoulder blades together, bringing the weights level with your chest.
- Inhale and return to the upright starting position. Do 10 reps on each side.